Sunday, March 2, 2008

I began Eleutherios (The Liberator) while I was working third shift in the office. Feeling very much like I needed something more in my life than a desk job and a social life that seems as though it has gone on a vacation without me, I was praying to the god one god I thought might aid me while increases my relationships with the divine. I wonder though, is Bacchus just called the Liberator because of the freedom from social rules that comes from having too much to drink? Or is he really that great a god? The last line is in conversation with John Donne’s Holy Sonnet XIV.

Eleutherios (The Liberator)

I have heard of the tantric spell of heated flesh,
the mist of ancient perfumes floating in the air,
fire blazing, dancing, reaching to the heavens

as if it could speak to Zeus himself.
His Ladies sing a wine flavored tune,
it is the harvest flare of Bacchus' life,

a party wild and shimmering in the night;
it is so easy to get lost on this night,
to feel love on this night.

I want to feel the magic of the Bacchant's chant,
the wonder of their dance.
Alone, I feel, and sober,

I long for the kiss of an immortal god.
Bacchus roar your mighty song,
a bride of yours I long to be,

find me, ravish me, enter me.

revised 2/15/08

No comments: